Cars and Ribbons

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Photo Coasters

Coasters are such an easy and inexpensive gift to make.  You can personalize them any way you want.  I recently gave my family sets of coasters using photos of their kids.  They loved them!


Most of the items needed I already had or bought over time using coupons.  Here is what you need:
  • Mod Podge (used 40% off coupon)
  • Gloss Acrylic Sealer (used 40% off coupon)
  • Sponge Brush (on sale 10/$1)
  • Felt tabs or felt cut into squares (used 40% off coupon)
  • Tile coasters ($.13 at Home Depot)
  • Photos ($.19 at CVS)


Measure and crop each picture to fit the tile.  To make sure the picture would be centered on the tile before cutting, I used index cards to cover up the part of the picture that would be cropped.  I made adjustments as needed to make sure I got the part of the picture I wanted on the tile and then trimmed off the edges.


Centered perfectly!


I actually cleaned off the tiles with a cloth before the next step.  Sitting on the shelves at Home Depot, they can get dusty.  You definitely don't want Home Depot dust stuck to your tile to remember forever!!!

Next, you will brush a thin layer of Mod Podge on the tile and a thin layer on the back of the picture. Place the picture on the tile.  Once it's exactly where you want it on the tile, gently push down.  Spread a thin layer of Mod Podge, going side to side, over the entire coaster and picture.

I brushed on 3 coats of Mod Podge, letting it dry completely in between each coat.


After the last coat is completely dry, spray a thin coat of acrylic sealer over the tile.  I sprayed 2 coats, again letting it dry completely in between.   The sealer will protect the photos from any water droplets, etc.


Finally, when completely dry, turn the tile over and add your felt circles on each corner.  Or you can cut out felt squares and glue to the back.


And done!

Beautiful coasters, capturing great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for giving me your awesome feedback! Blessings!!!