Cars and Ribbons

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Washer Necklaces

For Christmas, I wanted to make some jewelry as gifts. Then on Pinterest I saw this simple tutorial to make washer necklaces.








I loved it and decided to make my own. Here's my tutorial for washer neckalces.




First, you need a steel stamping set. I had no idea where to find it. I scoured the internet and saw prices from $15 to $40 or more. I really didn't want to spend tons on a set, so I kept looking. Then, on a trip to Hobby Lobby, I found a stamping set in the jewelry section. Duh! It was only $11.99!!! Even better, I had a 40% off coupon that I was able to use. Score!
Here is what it looks like inside. The set is much smaller than I thought, but it still worked.



There are sets that are bigger and the font is fancier. They also cost more.

Next, gather your desired size washers. Home Depot sells them in packages for $1.18. You can also purchase them individually for just pennies. If you get two different sizes, it looks really nice to layer the washers.


The hardest part is deciding what you want to stamp on the necklace. On the necklaces I've made, I've used children's names, Scripture verses, song lyrics, and quotes. I really like to personalize each gift I make, so I always put a lot of thought into what it looks like and says.




After you finally make your decision, grab a hammer (I purchased this hammer at Hobby Lobby-was $6.99 and then used a 40% off coupon), pick out your letters, and hammer into the washer. You have to hammer hard and firm. It may take a few tries on a practice washer to get it perfect. Be sure you have something underneath your washer when hammering. If not, you'll hammer a washer ring onto the surface of your table. I used a wash cloth, but there are steel stamping blocks at craft stores.


Once the hammering is done, outline the letters with a black Sharpie marker. Wipe off the excess marker with a damp cloth. This will make the letters stand out more on the washer.

For the actual necklace, there are soooo many options to choose from. Use your imagination on how you want your necklace to look. I love these On-A-Cord necklaces from Hobby Lobby. There are single strands and multi-strands in different colors. The price ranges from $1.99-$2.99. If you keep your eye out for the weekly ads, you can purchase these when they are 50% off.


Here's a necklace I made for my daughter with her name stamped onto it.



I made them as gifts for my close girlfriends and my sisters. I packaged them in jewelry boxes that I found for $.40 each at a local discount jewelry store.


The necklaces cost $1.14-$1.28 to make (depending on how many washers used), not including the cost of the stamping set. Again, gifts don't have to be expensive, just thoughtful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for giving me your awesome feedback! Blessings!!!